This evening The Friends of Grosvenor and Hilbert Park hosted a talk on the History of the Park, by local historian Dr Philip Whitbourn. Dr Whitbourn has just written a booklet about the park, along with Dr Ian Beavis, Collections Management Officer at Tunbridge Wells Museum and Art Gallery. There was lots to learn in the talk, and the booklet, such as ladies being encouraged to join the Bowling Club when it opened in 1912.
However completely the best bit, well after finding out it opened as “Tunbridge Wells Recreation Ground” as it was the first one; the best bit was the opening of the bandstand in 1899, then only one of two in the town, when the musical programme included ballads and a selection from The Mikado. The Mayor declared the “bandstand open for the use of the band from this time forward for ever more”… sadly by 1931 it was closed, deemed unsafe, and demolished in 1935.